Generic Name: lifitegrast
Drug Class: lymphocyte function-associated antigen-1 antagonist
Xiidra is an ophthalmic prescription solution used to treat the signs and symptoms of dry eye disease or DED. This is a common eye disease that occurs when the tears cannot provide adequate lubrication to the eyes.
Xiidra Dosage Forms
This is available in Xiidra 50 mg/mL ophthalmic solution.
Xiidra Mechanism of Action
The exact mechanism of this eyedrop is still unknown. However, it is thought to inhibit T-cell adhesion to ICAM-1 or intercellular adhesion molecule-1 in the T-cell line. It also inhibits the inflammatory cytokines secretion in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells.
How to Use Xiidra
Before using this eyedrop, it is necessary to read the patient information leaflet or medication guide given by a healthcare professional. It is important to understand the uses and directions of drugs before using them. If you need additional medical advice or information, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
This is usually prescribed twice a day, every 12 hours. Make a dosing schedule so you will not miss your doses. Do not increase/decrease your eyedrops dosage or use this solution more frequently than prescribed.
Step-by-step Guide on how to use Xiidra
- Wash your hands properly before applying eye medications.
- If you wear contact lenses, remove them before applying the eyedrop.
- Open one single-use container from the foil pouch to use. Put the remaining strip of single-use containers back in the pouch.
- Hold the container upright and tap the top until all the solution is in the bottom part.
- Open the container by twisting off the tab. Make sure the tip does not touch anything to avoid contamination.
- In a position comfortable for you, tilt your head backward.
- Pull the lower eyelid of your affected eye down. Hold the bottle directly above your eye with the dropper right above the eyelid. Be careful not to poke your eye with the tip of your dropper.
- Look up, then gently squeeze the single-use container to release a drop. If a drop misses your eye, try again.
- Repeat Steps 6 to 8 for your other eye. One single container is enough for both eyes.
Any remaining solution should be discarded. If you use contact lenses, wait for about 15mins before placing them back in your eyes.
Xiidra Side Effects
Mild & Common Side Effects:
-Temporary eye discomfort
-Temporary blurred vision
-Unusual taste in the mouth
Severe Side Effects:
Note that this is not a full/complete list of the side effects of Xiidra.
In case of severe or persistent adverse reactions, discontinue medication and contact your doctor.
Warnings and Precautions
Do not use this prescription eyedrop if you have a known allergic reaction to lifitegrast or any Xiidra ingredients. Ensure to watch for symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including difficulty breathing, swelling of the face and neck, severe dizziness, lymph nodes, hives, and skin rashes.
This medication may be contraindicated for people with a history of eye conditions. Due to drug interactions, you should mention all of your prescription and non-prescription medications, supplements, and herbal products.
Blurred vision is a common adverse reaction to this medication. Practice safety caution when doing tasks that needs a clear vision, especially driving. You must also limit drinking alcohol while using this eyedrop.
How much does Xiidra cost?
You may see the list of Xiidra prices on this page. Check the top of this description for your options.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What does Xiidra do for your eyes?
Physicians prescribe Xiidra for dry eye disease. It is administered to provide enough lubrication for the eyes.
How does Xiidra work?
This eye solution is thought to work by blocking a certain protein on the surface of the cells. This protein causes the eyes not to produce enough tears.
Can Xiidra cause vision loss?
It is not true that Xiidra makes eyes worse. However, it may cause temporary blurring of vision and eye irritation.
Which is better, Xiidra or Restasis?
Xiidra vs Restasis – These medications are prescribed to treat dry eye symptoms. The former is known to work more quickly than the latter.
Can Xiidra cause hair loss?
This type of ophthalmic medication is not supposed to cause hair loss. There are no direct links between Xiidra and hair loss based on clinical trials.
Is Xiidra sold over the counter?
You must present a valid prescription when purchasing this eyedrop from any pharmacy.