The Rise of Antidepressants in America
Antidepressants in America have achieved the number one spot for the most prescribed class of medications. While depression is a very serious condition, I am beginning to wonder why so many people are said to suffer from depression. The whys have always been very difficult to overcome.
I would like to lead by saying; if you do have serious depression then medications may be necessary, as major depression can make it difficult if not impossible to even get up every morning. However, has the number of depressed American citizens increased or simply the number of prescriptions?
Over-prescribing medications have become a very serious ordeal in America. Sometimes, certain issues may be resolved by seeing a therapist and just telling that person what has been troubling you. Medications can be expensive and unnecessary.
However, if there is a real rise in depression among Americans, then I am worried about the future. Perhaps, alternative methods of dealing with more minor depression should be used before medications. If you believe you may be suffering from depression try to use a few of these steps.
- Access the situation – Try to evaluate what is the reason for your troubles. The best way to do this is to step back from the situation and look at your problems as if you were a neutral party. Access the problem in an unbiased way and try to come up with a resolution.
- Write – Writing can be a very soothing and relaxing process. It is a good, safe, and relatively easy way to express any emotions you may have bottled up inside of you. Don’t try to overthink what you are writing, simply sit down with some paper and a pen and write whatever you feel. You may often be able to express your true emotions better this way instead of talking or thinking things through.
- Talk to a friend – Find a reliable and trustworthy person. This could be your childhood friend, your mother, a coworker, anyone you feel completely comfortable with. Then tell them what you’re going through, and try to work out what may be causing you to feel the way you do. Ask them for advice, as they can view your situation from a different perspective.
- Talk to a professional – Although it may seem weird to talk to a complete stranger about your personal issues, therapists can really help sort out your emotions. These people have been trained to deal with these sorts of problems. Think of this as something similar to going to the doctor for a very personal problem. You may not be completely comfortable with someone treating an embarrassing or deeply personal problem, but you know that a doctor has received training on how to deal with these issues.
- Medications – If you find that nothing is working, and you are really struggling to live comfortably, then you may need medications. For some people who are suffering from major depression, medications are the only way to deal with their condition. Antidepressants in America are the most often prescribed class of medicine.
7 Strategies for Depression Treatment
Are Depression and Heart Disease Linked?