6 Unadvertised Uses for Aspirin
Aspirin is a mild, non-narcotic analgesic that works by inhibiting the production of body chemicals that are necessary for blood clotting and also sensitize nerve endings to pain. Aspirin is actually derived from the bark and leaves of the willow tree. In 1830 scientists realized that it was the component “Salicin” in the willow plant that was responsible for pain relief. After that scientists began trying to find ways to isolate that compound and turn it into a more usable form of medicine. Apart from treating headache and fever symptoms, aspirin has many helpful uses in everyday life.
1. Acne – Add water to crushed aspirin to create a paste that you can apply to your acne. The salicylic acid in the aspirin will dry out your pimples and since aspirin is an astringent, it will reduce their redness. They should be less noticeable after a couple uses. This is a good alternative if you don’t want to spend lots of money on drugstore acne products.
2. Clothing Stains – Aspirin can also be used to remove sweat stains from clothing. Dissolve a couple aspirins in half a cup of warm water and apply it to the stained fabric. Let it soak for a couple hours and then wash the clothing. The stains should disappear!
3. Fresh Flowers – Before putting cut flowers into a vase, dissolve an aspirin tablet in the water. This will help keep the flowers fresh and let them last longer.
4. Dandruff – Aspirin can help you with your dandruff problems. Crush two aspirins and mix them with your shampoo. Let the mixture soak in for about 3 minutes before rinsing your hair. You will have a less flaky scalp!
5. Hair Color – For those of you who love to swim you may know that the chlorine in pools can give your hair a yellowish or faded color. Dissolve 10 aspirins in a glass of water and rub the solution into your hair. After 10 minutes rinse it out an wash your hair as you usually would.
6. Bites – Aspirin works wonders on bug bites!! Wet an aspirin tablet and rub it over a mosquito bite or bee sting. You should feel instant relief!