Generic Name: tiotropium bromide & olodaterol
Drug Class: anticholinergic & long-acting beta 2-adrenergic agonist
Stiolto Respimat is an oral prescription inhalation used as maintenance treatment for a chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with chronic bronchitis and emphysema. It controls and prevents breathing symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of breath. It should not be used for asthma and acute deterioration of COPD.
Stiolto Respimat Dosage Forms
This is available in 3.124 mcg tiotropium bromide (=2.5 mcg tiotropium) and 2.736 mcg olodaterol hydrochloride (=2.5 mcg olodaterol).
Stiolto Respimat Mechanism of Action
This oral inhaler has two actions. First, it inhibits the m3 receptors at the smooth muscles of the airway. Second, it stimulates the intracellular adenyl cyclase, leading to cyclic AMP’s mediation synthesis. Both these actions result in the relaxation of bronchial smooth muscles or bronchodilation.
How to Use Stiolto Respimat
Before using this inhaler, it is necessary to read the information leaflet or medication guide given by a healthcare professional. You must not use any inhaler unless you have understood the uses and directions. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for further medical advice or additional details.
Stiolto Respimat has usually prescribed 2 puffs, once a day. Wait for at least one minute before taking another puff. Make a dosing schedule so you will not miss your doses. Do not increase/decrease your dose or use this inhaler more frequently than prescribed.
Step-by-step Guide to using Stiolto Respimat inhaler:
- First, check that the cap is closed. Press the safety catch as you pull the clear base off. Never touch the piercing element in the middle of the base.
- Write the discard date on the device’s label. The discard date must be 3 months or 90 days after the inhalation has been inserted.
- Remove the cartridge from the packaging. Then, insert the narrow part into the device. Put the inhaler on a firm and flat surface. Then, push it down fully until it clicks.
- Put the clear base back. Remember not to remove it once it has already been inserted.
- Turn the clear base to the direction of the arrow with the cap closed.
- Open the cap. Point the inhaler away from your face. Push the release button. Repeat steps 5 & 6 until you see a mist.
- If the inhaler is primed, open the cap and turn the clear base to the arrow again. Exhale fully but deeply.
- Seal your lips around the mouthpiece. Check if you are not blocking the air vent with your hand or fingers. Take a slow, deep breath through the mouth while pressing the release button.
- Hold your breath for about ten seconds.
- Wait for a minute before repeating steps 7 to 9 for another puff. Once you are done, close the cap of the inhaler.
Stiolto Respimat Side Effects
Mild & Common Side Effects:
-Shaking or tremors
Severe Side Effects:
-High blood pressure
Note that this is not a full/complete list of the side effects of Stiolto Respimat.
If you experience severe or persistent adverse reactions, discontinue medication and call your doctor or healthcare professional.
Warnings and Precautions
Do not use Stiolto Respimat if you have a known allergy to tiotropium, olodaterol, ipratropium, or any inactive ingredients the inhaler may contain. Signs of serious allergic reactions are severe dizziness, skin rashes, swelling of the face and neck, hives, swollen lymph nodes, and trouble breathing. This must be considered a medical emergency. Immediately call for emergency help if this happens.
Stiolto Respimat may be contraindicated for people with a history of heart problems, hypertension, kidney problems, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, seizures, enlarged prostate, and glaucoma. Also, due to possible drug interactions, you should discuss all the prescription medications, nonprescription medications, supplements, and herbal products you are taking.
This inhaler can cause QT prolongation, which could be considered a medical emergency. Symptoms are severe dizziness and fainting. You may prevent this by staying hydrated and avoiding water pills. You should also be monitored for low potassium and magnesium levels in the blood, as they may also lead to QT prolongation.
It is preferable for pregnant moms to avoid this drug as it is still not entirely known if this drug can cause harm to unborn babies. It is also unknown if this drug can pass into the breastmilk for breastfeeding moms. Discuss all the possible risks with your healthcare provider.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Stiolto Respimat a steroid?
No, this inhaler is steroid-free. This once-daily maintenance drug is safe to use long-term.
What does Stiolto Respimat do to you?
This inhaler works by relaxing the smooth muscles in the airway, which leads to bronchodilation. This allows people with COPD to breathe more easily.
Is Stiolto Respimat the same as Spiriva?
Stiolto Respimat treats breathing problems caused by chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Spiriva also has the same indication. Both these inhalers are not used for people with asthma.
Can you use Stiolto Respimat and albuterol together?
Using these two medications together can increase the risk of cardiovascular adverse effects. It may cause increased heart rate, elevated blood pressure, and irregular heart rhythm.
Is there a generic brand for Stiolto Respimat?
At present, there are still no generic forms of this medication. If this inhaler does not work for you, call your doctor or healthcare professional.
Do I need a prescription when purchasing Stiolto Respimat?
This oral inhaler is a prescription drug. Buying this product in any pharmacy will require a valid prescription.
How much does Stiolto Respimat cost?
You may check the prices of Stiolto from this page. Get the best deals when you order from our online pharmacy.