What is Ventolin?
Ventolin (generic name: albuterol sulfate) is a prescribed oral inhalation prescribed to treat or prevent bronchospasm caused by asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease among patients four years of age and above. It is also used to prevent or control exercise-induced bronchospasm.
The strength per dose is Ventolin 100 mcg however the amount released into the lungs is 90mcg.
Ventolin is classified as a beta2 adrenergic agonist. This inhaler activates adenyl cyclase and increases the intracellular concentration of cyclic adenosine monophosphate or AMP. This leads to the activation of protein kinase A inhibits the phosphorylation of myosin and decreases intracellular concentrations of ionic calcium. It results in smooth muscle relaxation in the airways, from the trachea to the bronchioles.
How to use Ventolin Inhaler
You must read the patient information guide and use this inhaler exactly as prescribed by the doctor. This is usually prescribed every 6 or 4 hours as needed. If you use this inhaler for exercise-induced asthma, administer two puffs 15 to 30 minutes before exercising. Do not increase/decrease your Ventolin dosage or take it more frequently than intended.
Step-by-step Guide on using Ventolin Inhaler:
- Make sure that the canister is tightly inserted in the actuator, and the counter is showing on the small window of the actuator,
- Shake the inhaler thoroughly. Take off the cover of the actuator and check if there are any first or foreign objects in the mouthpiece.
- Hold the device in a vertical or upright position, with the mouthpiece down.
- Exhale via your mouth thoroughly.
- Put the mouthpiece inside the mouth and seal your lips around it.
- Push the canister fully as you inhale slowly and deeply through the mouth.
- Take your finger off the canister. Take the inhaler from the mouth. Then, for around 10 seconds, hold your breath.
- Exhale slowly. If you are to take 2 puffs, repeat steps 2-8.
- Replace the cover of the mouthpiece and make sure that it will snap firmly into place.
Ventolin Side Effects
The common side effects of this oral inhalation are throat irritation, hoarseness, changes in taste, nausea, dizziness, headache, shaking, nervousness, and trouble sleeping. Further, you should report severe side effects, such as paradoxical bronchospasm, high blood pressure, chest pain, irregular heartbeat, rapid breathing, and confusion. Call your doctor if any serious adverse effects occur.
Precautions / Contraindications
Avoid or restrict your consumption of alcoholic beverages while using this inhaler. Alcohol can interact with this drug and aggravate certain adverse effects, such as headaches and dizziness. You should also observe safety caution when doing tasks that require alertness, especially driving.
This inhalation aerosol should not be administered if you have a known allergy to albuterol, levalbuterol, metaproterenol, terbutaline, or any other inactive ingredients this inhaler may contain. Signs of serious allergic reactions are skin rashes, swelling of the face, hives, swollen lymph nodes, severe dizziness, and trouble breathing. Alert your emergency medical hotline if this occurs.
This drug is also contraindicated among people with a history of hypertension, seizure, and heart problems. Due to possible drug interactions, you must also talk about all prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, supplements, and herbal products you are taking.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What must I do if I am prescribed other inhalers?
If you are prescribed other respiratory inhalations, make sure that there is at least a minute of interval in between.
2. Should I rinse my mouth after taking Ventolin?
It is important to rinse the mouth and spit the water out after administering this oral inhalation to prevent oral thrush and sore throat.
3. Is Ventolin safe for pregnant and breastfeeding moms?
It is best for pregnant and breastfeeding moms to discuss the possible risks and benefits with their healthcare providers. Use this inhaler only if clearly needed.
4. Can children use Ventolin?
Children 4 years old and up can use Ventolin Inhaler.
5. How much does Ventolin Inhaler cost?
You may check the pricing of this product by clicking here.